Wishing everyone a very Happy 2012
Most often when I plan a menu I know what I want to cook except for the appetizers. Its always confusing, whether to make a simple appetizer like a masala papad or something more elaborate like the samosa.
Samosa which is best served hot is something which I avoid only because I do not like to fry something when I have guests right there and my husband hates the smell of oil at home.
This time however I found a recipe which said that the samosa can be made in advance and just needs to be re-heated before serving-YAYYYYYY!!!!!
So I pulled on my apron and got to work.
Makes about 16 samosas
Ingredients for the dough
3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup margarine
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ajwain
water as required
Oil ( deep frying)
Method
Mix the flour,salt and ajwain with the margarine till well combined.
Add 1/4 c water ( more or less as required) and form a soft yet firm dough.
cover with a clear wrap and leave aside for 30-40 mins.
To make the filling
Filling can be anything of your choice,I personally like potato and peas filling for this kind of samosa dough and a spicy minced meat filling for a more crispier (almost like spring roll sheets) kind of dough.
Ingredients for the Potato and peas filling
2 large russet potatoes boiled and mashed
14 cup cooked peas
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 tbsp ginger and garlic paste
salt
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp corriander powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 tbsp lime juice
Method
Heat a pan with oil, add the ginger and garlic paste, followed by the onions .
Whn the onion is translucent add the powders,salt and peas.
When this mixture cools down combine it with the mashed potatoes and the peas.
add in the lime juice and mix well.
Keep aside.
To assemble the Samosa
Divide it into 8 equal balls and roll out like you would a roti.
Heat a pan/griddle and cook the roti for 10 secs on each side and place in a hot (insulated)box.
Make a paste to act like glue with all purpose flour and water.
Now cut the roti into half and form a cone by sealing the straight ends together with the paste.
Place the filling (1 Tbsp)in the cone and also dab the paste on the edge and seal well.(press firmly with your thumb and pointer finger)
Fry in oil till it turns golden brown and crispy.
Transfer to a kitchen towel to drain off the excess oil.
Serve with mint chutney or ketchup.
You can make these ahead and store it in an air tight container (in the refrigerator) for upto 4 days and simply reheat in the oven before serving.
9 comments:
My all time favourite snack. Thanks a lot for sharing this recipe.Looks awesome.
Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi
They look delicious..a must to try..Bookmarked
Aarthi
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/
wow..crispy spicy samosa can eat at any time thanks for sharing
all time fav of mine .. thanks for sharing
My all time fav .. yummy :)
Delish luking Samaosa - an alltime fav snack.Yummy!
A very addictive Snack recipe. Samosa look fabulous.
Just mouthwatering...looks so easy to prepare & delicious!
very delicious
You have a wonderful blog with great recipes.Glad to follow you.
Do visit my new blog in your free time.
http://www.foodydelight.com/
Post a Comment