Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Tandoori Cornish Hen


Sunday lunch is always very nice for us coz it is laid back and its a good opportunity for me to try new things to feed my family,most ppl would like to eat out on Sundays I think but we like to stay out the whole of Saturday and spend Sunday at home just catching up on reading,returning calls and doing small errands around the house.
Last Sunday I tried the cornish hen for the first time and I did like it a lot.It tasted more (texture wise)like the country chicken that we get in India but since it was marinating for over 24 hrs the tandoori flavour was definitely there and it was yummy.
I was thinking of sending this recipe to Blogger Aid but I just eye balled the ingredients while marinating so it cant be sent in :(
This recipe is also a very healthy as there is very little oil and it baked not fried so this is again to honor March as National Nuritional Month




Here is the recipe

Ingredients
  • 1 lb Cornish hen cleaned and washed
  • 2 cloves garlic sliced
  • 1/2 onion sliced
  • thick yogurt
  • garam masala
  • tandoori chicken powder
  • salt
  • ginger and garlic paste
  • turmeric powder
  • chili powder
  • lime juice
Method

Marinate the chicken in the above ingredients except the sliced garlic and onion .
Make sure to get some of the marinade under the skin as well.
Fill the cavity with the sliced garlic and onions.
Marinate for atleast 8 hrs or longer if possible.
Spread one tsp oil or butter all over the chicken.
Bake in a pre heated oven at 350 F for about 30-35 mins or till done.

26 comments:

FH said...

I baked US style Cornish Hens too for last year's Thanksgiving! Loved it, kids enjoyed it. Tandoori hens looks really yummy. Baked to perfection! :)

Cham said...

Tandoori hen sounds delicous :) I love to stay at home in Sunday 2!

Jaishree Iyer said...

Hi Neema,I have something for u in my blog. Pls accept& trail back to my blog.

Shama Nagarajan said...

dear..jus send me that...am drooling here

Unknown said...

ha ha ha you are so so fast dear now you can check the recipe any way thankyou so much for your super fast comment dear and this tandoori cornish hen hummm intresting very new to me will try this for my hubby

Suganya said...

Hen looks prefect. Nice recipe. I do the same with chicken.... Lovely color...YUM!

Kannada Cuisine said...

yum...

Poornima Nair said...

The hen looks fab...so want to ponce on it:)...delicious.

Varsha Vipins said...

Oh..I want tis Cornish hen,if it tastes like country chicken.Where did u buy it from?Looks so soo good..am drooling..:)

veggie belly said...

you are making me crave something tandoori! i think ill have to 'veggiefy' this and try it soon!

Recipeswap said...

Asha,it was good right,my husband was skeptical abt this but I wanted to try it anyway and am glad I did.
Thanks Jaishree.
Shama if I could send it to you believe me I would :)
Rekha your husband will enjoy this I'm quite sure.
Thanks Poornima,Smitha and Sukanya.
Varsha I got it from Wamart .
Veggie Belly - A Veggiefied version will be good too.

Sanghi said...

Ooooooooohhh.. Click looks soo tempting Neema! If i have a fork in hand now, will sure poke my monitor to get a piece of it..! Drooling over??!!!;)

Vibaas said...

Have something for you : http://vibaas-world.blogspot.com/2009/03/potato-sandwich-and-awards.html

Unknown said...

You have a nice template....Tandoori hen looks just perfect!!

Recipeswap said...

Sanghi LOL!I feel like that many times too.
Vibaas Thanks a ton sweetie.
Thanks for visiting.Do come again :)

Indian Khana said...

Nice colour ...looks delicious and as you said it healthy...gud one

♥Rosie♥ said...

Tandoori hen, oh this sounds absolutely delicious! what a temptation mmmmmm...

Rosie x

Chutneytales said...

Its looks delicious n tempting :)

Nazarina A said...

This looks delicious and the skin has a yummy golden color. Yep Sundays reminds me of Thanksgiving!

Malar Gandhi said...

Love the idea of tandooring cornish hen. I always buy cornish hen...try them in different ways...this looks perfect, will try this sunday! Thanks for the idea, dear.

Gita Jaishankar said...

Wonderful dish...I have never tried cooking cornish hen before... I should prepare this tandoori cornish hen this weekend... looks so delicious :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Neema..
Tandoori hen looks great

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I can imagine that the tandoori would make the cornish game hens so tender and juicy N33ma:D

suvi said...

ken looks absolutely delicious!!

Cynthia said...

I'm saving this recipe to make for company.

Priyanka Agrawal said...

yummy looks delish!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for visiting my Blog,Do come back again :)