Thursday, March 05, 2009

Lets Eat Healthy

March is National Nutrition Month and so I'm going t be focusing on posting recipes that are healthy and which will help ppl to slowly adopt good food choices as a lifestyle change....its not simple to switch over or to maintain that lifestyle constantly coz one does wonder what do u eat everyday and where to look for recipes?????I have been there,done that and I really know how frustrating it can get.

After my daughter was born I was qt heavy like abt 145 lbs and I really wanted to shed the weight but in a healthy way not just a crash diet coz that has not helped too.I started to research abt each diet that is most popular these days and I tried to pick out the best pointers from each.I am now abt 129 lbs and I am happy with that just that I want to reach 125 and maintain it.
Now when I say healthy diet I don't mean just salads and soups like what most ppl think, that one is suppose to eat when on a diet.I'm talking abt food that is tasty,healthy and has variety.

Not that I dont indulge myself in sweets,pastries,carbs......frankly I do but its once in a while and portion control is just as important,weekends are the hardest for me,we tend to eat out a lot or we are inviting ppl over and it can get very challenging.
I have worked a way around that too so I'm hoping that my experience will be helpful for all,also to get a better perspective read here.

I have briefly worked out a 5 day almost south beach menu for breakfast ,lunch and dinner along with snacks that that are healthy,high in protein and low in carbs.

Note that most of the recipes here have chicken in some form or the other.This is what worked for me and I like it too, so when planning a change in eating habits revolve it around food that you like,its easier that way.I have included just one rice item here coz I think I put on weight by just looking at rice so I eat rice very rarely and that too if its one of my favs like Methi rice or Biryani etc you can certainly eat a palmfull of cooked rice to include a little more carb in your diet as well..I have suggested Skim milk but I drink 2%.
Most of the meals here are protein and fibre rich.If you have any other suggestions plz feel free to link to this post or leave a comment regarding the same.

Monday

Breakfast- 2 slices of whole wheat toast and low fat cream cheese spinach spread
Snack-15 almonds or 1 low fat string cheese.
Lunch-Dal Makhani and besan methi parathas
Evening snack: 1/2 cup creamy tomato soup or 1 cup skim milk
Dinner-Spicy veggie salad with 1/2 chicken breast





Tuesday

Breakfast-Egg crepes with spinach spread
Snack-Milk
Lunch-Creamed onion soup and a Fillet of fish
Snack-Low sweet chocolate pudding
Dinner-Salsa cheddar chicken



Wednesday

Breakfast-Mughlai ricotta stuffed paratha
snack-1/2 cup Splenda beet- carrot halwa
Lunch-Platter of Veggie stir fry ,baked chicken and bean salad
Snack-nuts and milk
Dinner-Soto ayam and Gado Gado




Thursday

Breakfast-1 glass milk,1 whole wheat toast with tomato chutney.
snack-1 low calorie Jello cup
Lunch-Hot and sour soup and Salad
Snack-Fusion chicken wraps
Dinner-Chicken with brocolli and mushroom






Friday

Breakfast- Omelette with creamy brocolli puree
snack-milk
Lunch-Chicken with brocolli and mushrooms
Snack-Chocolate pudding
Dinner-Carrot rice and Channaa gravy



Snacks

Eat a whole lot of MUFA (monounsaturated fatty acids) foods that is Avacado,flax seeds,canola oil,dark chocolate which is essential and good for all of us.




Some points to remember

  • Remember to milk your diet not only is it good for your bones but helps to reduce weight as well.I use 2% milk not skim.
  • Drink a lot of water
  • Eat small ,frequent meals.Never Never skip a meal.
  • Planning ahead helps to never go off track (almost)
  • Get a nice brisk walk or do some kind of light activity
  • Cut down on salt
  • Fruit juices have sugar in them a better option is a fruit instead which has fiber.
  • Splenda is better than normal sugar
  • Whole grains,always a thumbs up
  • If you have to drink coke make it a diet coke.
  • While eating out ask for half the portion of the entree if possible.
Here is my small attempt at switching over slowly but steadily to healthier food and making it a part of my lifestyle choice.Hope this post will be of use to all in some way or the other.Do plz let me know what you think abt this.

34 comments:

Kannada Cuisine said...

This looks like a personally tailored diet plan for me.. I just need to substitute something for the chicken :)
Great plan N33ma, very thoughtful of you to have posted the entire plan...
Cheers..to healthy eating

FH said...

Same here too. We don't really eat lot of fatty or sweet or unhealthy food much but we are plump anyway. We need to exercise more than dieting. We ahrdly eat breakfast here, toast and OJ, that's it. Light lunch and good dinner aret he main meals.
Your daily menu plan looks great. I am on Rasam for the whole day today, I am doing well so far! :D

Recipeswap said...

Hope this helps all.
Smitha I will try and post some healthy veggie dishes too.Try more soy,tofu egg,lentils etc in place of chicken.
Yea Asha I agree with you.I dont exercise at all,infact I hate it so I try a little healthier meals.

Unknown said...

Wow.. Useful Info... Very nice diet Plan..Thxs for sharing Dear..

Varsha Vipins said...

Ahh..this looks good..I wont mind following this with some chicken breast appearing here n there in the list..:)..But am at goof 118 lbs now..nyhow,will keep this in mind..:)

Chutneytales said...

I had once tried this 7 days GM diet and I was very miserable after it..I felt my whole body system got disturbed..So after that i never tried to attempt any crash diet.What you have stated in your post are absolutely right..Eating normally in small amounts with a bit of planning is the best way to go on dieting..Thanks for this wonderful post :)

AnuSriram said...

Wow.. thats a gr8 plan! I would love to follow that except for the non-veg and egg items. I don't eat them. May be i should go for veggies.

Poornima Nair said...

Thats a wonderful writeup...I have tried all kinds of diets over the years and they were all a failure. The best thing is to avoid or limit fried foods, eating out and to include some kind of activity. It really helps. I could go on a diet with all these treats anyday. You have a wonderful blog here. Love it.

Dori said...

Ah, the weight struggle... I too have had struggles after having my daughter... I'm glad you aren't starving yourself or being unhealthy... anyway, I'm sure you look great!

Recipeswap said...

Anu I will put up a veggie friendly version as well sometime soon :)
Varsha you dont need to if you are 118 lbs.lucky bum!
Madhu these 'reduce fast' diets dnt work and they are harmful for the body in the long run.I'm glad you are not into such things anymore:)
Thanks Poornima and Sri.
Thats so swt of you Meeso but yea I wanna be 125 so lets see.

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow something for me.....Gr8 plan dear...Bookmarked...

Shama Nagarajan said...

nice plan....great idea

Jaya M said...

n33ma,
thats so informative and I really liked your weekday menu plan , lots of variation and healthy choice ..
Same here I never skip any meal ,I eat but moderately ..
I used to have sprite (that doesn't have caffein )but not now , completly stopped having cold drinks....
hugs and smiles

Indian Khana said...

That's so thoughtful of dear to post the entire menu, must have taken so much effort...looks cool indeed...I'm bookmarking this...hope I can start to follow :)

Recipeswap said...

Thanks Kitchen flavors and Shama.
Jaya I'm addicted to diet coke,I cant stop :(
Priti I hope the post will be of help to you.

Malar Gandhi said...

Neema that sounds fabulous...lot of people will find it useful...neat plan, keep up ur good work, dear.

Btn you forgot to take the award with you, from my blog!

Sia said...

eating healthy tops my list. but eating healthy yet not compromising on taste is what i prefer and looks like u have been doing the same :)

Usha said...

Good one, lovely post ! I used to feel the same way about rice until I switched to brown rice now I have it in small quantities and it does not effect my diet adversely !

Priya Suresh said...

Lovely post Neema...love the way u planned the menu card...very useful for future dieting people like me (still its a dream)..lolz:d

♥Rosie♥ said...

Great post and so much info. Well done on your weight loss too!1

Rosie x

Swapna said...

Wow! something for me. Sounds very interesting and informative. Very creative. Keep rocking :)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Thank you for all the excellent advice N33ma.Important items that seem to work for me that you have already mentioned are portion control, to use whole wheat wraps instead of sandwiches (add spinach instead of lettuce which studies show help in losing weight), eat protein for breakfast so that you will hungry less often and don't skip meals or your body will think it is in starvation mode and hold onto its fat.

Gita Jaishankar said...

I was on a low-carb diet 4 months back and lost around 20 pounds..my diet was also almost the same your plan and I had fatty fish like salmon thrice a week...I like the tips you have given, very informative....

Sujatha said...

Nice and informative post Neema! Good break-up of everyday diets.. thanks for taking the effort to post it..

Jaishree Iyer said...

Lovely post Neema!Your daily menu plan looks great.I am pure veg. I would love to follow that substitute for the non-veg and egg items.Thxs for sharing Dear.

Saritha said...

I liked ur template.
Great plan.But i tried to do dieting and eat healthy,i do for may be a week and will come back to my old eating habits.
U have worked out a wonderful week plan

MamaFaMi said...

Thank you for the menu ideas dear.

Yasmeen said...

I followed the same weight trend like you Neema,heavy just after delivering but slowly came back to normal now,actually slightly under weight.
Yeah,healthy eating should never be boring,your delicious meal is great start for healthy eating,thanks for the helpful tips in the end.My notorious habit of skipping meals should be the reason for being under weight.

Priyanka Agrawal said...

healthy eating seems to be the IN thing...for me as well. thanks for the ideas.

Recipeswap said...

Thanks Malar for the encouragement and the award!
Sia what u say is very true if food is not pretty and of ones choice -dieting gets so difficult.
Usha I was looking for more on brown rice,good to know that it does not affect your diet....I will try it soon.
Thanks Rosie,Sujatha,MamaFami,Food fanatic and Swapna...I'm glad to be of help.
Val you are right on with the protein breakfast.
wow Gita losing 20 lbs is so good ,you must have been totally dedicated!
Jaishree I will try to post some veggie dishes as well.
Thanks Varunavi,I too took a lot of time to stay on track,which is difficult :) .In some time you will be good with that and a few lapses here and there is ok :)
Oh Yasmeen do not skip meals and you have kids too so it will be extra exhausting.Otherwise you are such a health food junkie!

Cham said...

Ur daily menu plan is simply great. The main thing is always watch what we are eating in our plate.

Gita Jaishankar said...

Please trail back to my blog. I have something waiting for you :)

vidhas said...

Hi Neema, Nice diet plan. But i am vegetarian, i have to think what i can subsitute. As you said , expecting your veg plan.
something is waiting for you, come and collect.

Unknown said...

Nice healthy plan. Great post!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for visiting my Blog,Do come back again :)