My mom would tell me "if shes not hungry just let her be- do not force her",but my crazy maternal instinct would kick in and I simply couldn't stop not until recently.
Last month I went mad trying to get her to drink some milk on her own(yea she does not drink milk on her own I have to sit with her till she finishes or she throws it out and the rascal is just 19 months old).I got fed up and didn't give her anything till she actually asked for some food,that was the first time in all of her 18 months when she realised what hunger was.....my god I had never given her a chance to 'meet hunger' and this was amuch needed introduction.
I know most moms atleast the Indian ones run around behind their children getting them to eat and drink on time and I know it satisfies the mom that we have done our part of the nourishment,but I have now realised that just let the kids hunger guide the feeding routine,coz kids like us adults will never over eat and they know when to stop.
I sometimes take the easy way out,play a Dora DVD,put her in front of the Tele and feed her and she does not even realise that shes done or I take her to the balcony and play hide and go seek while feeding her...these feeding methods are certainly not good.
These days I'm trying to get her to eat her dinner with us at the table on her own,I try not to pick up the spoon to feed her each time shes doing something else or is just playing with her food. I slowly get her interested in her plate again by pointing out to the veggies and naming them and asking her to tell me her favs etc to make this easier on her and dinner time for the rest of us.
I started with food that she likes so that she will actually show some interest in picking up her spoon and not wait for me to feed her.
Last night Dinner was Mashed potatoes,boiled veggies and pasta.Potatoes and pasta are her favs but veggies took a long time to go in.I was good ,yes I'm saying I was good coz I didnt pick up her spoon to feed her when she was wasting time and spilling all over.She was good too coz she finished the potatoes first(her fav veggie) and then went on to eat the pasta and then with a lot of encouraging the veggies.....
I think we both have come a long way.......from measuring,to refusing,to screaming and howling,to never giving up,to watching Dora while eating to finally sitting at the table and eating like a family coz 'A FAMILY THAT EATS TOGETHER,STAY TOGETHER'
Some pointers which helped me
- Let the child be the best guide about the timing and amount of food.
- Never force,it makes it hard for both the child and the parent.
- Give them time to finish the food,dnt ask them to hurry up.
- Encouragement and positive reinforcement goes a long way.
Vegetables:beans,carrot and peas-cubed and boiled
Mashed potatoes:Heat 1 tbsp butter in a pan add one boiled and cubed potato,milk and salt.mash well.
Pasta:Heat 1 tsp butter in a pan,add 1 tsp flour and cook till done,add milk and salt.Let it get creamy finally add cooked elbow macaroni and shredded cheddar cheese,mix well.
27 comments:
hi n33ma, wat u have said is 100% correct,i was the same like u , but now i changed myself after getting lots n lots of scoldings from a paediatrician and relatives:)now my baby is eating well out of hunger:)This is the correct way of feeding babies from birth.thanks for sharing this post!!it will be really useful for all mothers:)Good !!
Chitra that was fast..thanks I hope it helps!
That was an interesting read though I'm still to experience all that, maybe in a couple of years or so...But I've seen neighbors run behind their kids for hours trying to feed them and the kids just become irate and more stubborn...guess its best to wait till they come to you when hungry.
Excellent advice N33ma:D
Oh..i loved this post..Mom always used to complain about me not taking food n I was pretty skinny too..She used to do anything n everything,n i was like this since I got quite old too..Now I do understand,how she might have felt..I mean,like you I would also really feel bad n maybe scream n howl if the kid doesnt eat..il be depressed..:D.What u told is right..Forcing is of no use neither is tempting with cartoons n games..What u did is the right thing..I hope I can manage when I get a kid myslef..I am dreading now..:D:D..thanks for this dear..:)
Varsha u have troubled ur mom :(,
its gets depressing when ur kid does not eat and others kids cnt stop eating......its not that bad u'l do just fine I'm sure.
Poornima its best for them to experience a lill hunger.
Thanks Val :)
I never forced my son for eating. He sarted loving his food!
Love the mac and veggie plate!
Oh now I understand how much mothers are frustrated....becos I've troubled my mom too, soo much...:( Interesting tips for the mothers and mothers to be as well! :)
I thought i was reading my diary..lol :) My toddler is the exact same way. Started out chubby and is so skinny now. I do the same..i give enough time between meals/snacks and he's getting better. still skinny though! :)
I can understand how it can be trying to feed ur little one. U can try some variations like custard or even yogurt instead of milk. My daughter used to not have milk after I stopped feed but slowly things got back to normal. Small meals is a good idea with kids becoz they never seem to get hungry while they r busy playing. There is a lot of patience needed to try different things that suit their palette (try grating veggies into rice and tricks like that) have learnt it the hard way with a fussy eater at home:)
Nice post,n33ma.My mom had no problems with me..Infact she had a problem with an over-eating child :(..I was extremely fat when i was a baby ..My mom and my grandmas were wondering whats wrong with the baby!
Very useful post..i never forced my kids, they eat for their hunger..plate is really yummy...
Yeah...old people used to say, one shld not run behind the babies to feed them. They will ask for food...if hungry. They will also finish it without any trouble.
Though at only few months...they are chubby, at one stage they lose weight. Its part of growing. I guess this is playful period...its okay to be thin at certain age. Introduce healthful food(that will help gain weight, like nuts)She will gain weight in future...no worries, dear.
Cham and priya good that your kids were never forced.....I should have listened to others.
Thanks Sharmilee.
Vibaas.....lol,my daughter eats but shes petite.
Vandana thanks for the helpful tips.
Trust me Madhu ur mom was lucky,everytime we go to India and ppl ask me why my kids skinny I feel like slapping them coz I put in so much effort but shes like that.
Thanks Malar :)
Very helpful advice on feeding fussy toddlers.Sitting together to eat and allow them to self-feed certainly makes lot of difference in their eating habits. Thanks for another useful post,neema:)
i can totally understand what it s like..i have 17 month old daughter..but till now i m lucky she loves milk and up for any food, she never says no to new flavors also..so she made my job very easy..the only one thing she doesn't like is eggs..that's ok i guess:)..
Nice piece of info! What u say is rite! Kids know when to eat and they don't take a bite more than they require...
loved reading that...i have no expereince with babies (yet) but i think its the right thing to let them be the judge of what they want to eat! :) love your blog!!
A very informative post for would be parents like me :)
really interesting tips.
It was really a good read, but I am yet to experience that. But I have seen my mom doing the same with me and my bro.....I guess Indian Mom's are too concerned about the weight of their kids. And you are right i saying its best for them to experience little hunger instead of forcing them to eat when they are not hungry
Nice pot Neema. I also put DVD - dora for my lilne. When he is 21/2 my sil came, seeing his sis and couin he statred having on her own, comparing to my first one he s fast in eating now .
feeding kids is not fun. Keep at it.. u are doing good.
Yasmeen you are very welcome :)
Preety you are one lucky bum with an angel who does not refuse food or milk.
Super Chef thanks for visiting,I likd your blog too.
Thanks Smitha,AF,Purva znd Mallu Girl.
Vidhas I'm glad to know that he is eating on his own now and as far as I know second ones are always faster.
Well said n33ma.Even my daughter hates milk.So i try to give some milk subsitutes like cheese,butter,shrikand,buttermilk and curd.She just loves cheese,i will make it a point that she eats a small strip of cheese almost everyday.Still she is skinny,but active.doc says even if there are thin,if there are active then fine.
My daughter quit drinking milk at 8 months old and will not drink it to this day! My brother will chase his daughter around trying to get her to eat, too. I told him this only gives her some control over the situation and to leave her be, she will eat when she's hungry. Let them be hungry then put healthy food in front of them, and they will eat and build good eating habits. Being a parent is TOUGH!
wow..wonderful post.. first time in your blog and felt like reading my own story.. still feeding my little as you said making her to sit before her favorite tv shows..
hope to follow ur tips and get her eat by herself..
Post a Comment