Monday, March 23, 2009

Indian butter Chicken , Naan and Peas Rice

I know I'm suppose to be focusing on National Nutritional month and all but what the hell I want to go off the track and indulge in some good old Indian food and by that I mean Rice and lots of rice ;) along with some Naans and a buttery chicken gravy.I got the recipe for the Naan and the chicken from two different sites and I loved both.Rice however is the same as ghee rice but with peas.





INDIAN BUTTER CHICKEN RECIPE

http://www.indianfoodforever.com/non-veg/chicken/butter-chicken.html

  • 1/4 pint/150ml natural yogurt
  • 2 ounces/50g ground almonds
  • 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp crushed bay leaves
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • 4 green cardamom pods
  • 1 tsp ginger pulp
  • 1 tsp garlic pulp
  • 14 ounce/400g can tomatoes
  • 1 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 pounds/1kg chicken, skinned, boned and cubed
  • 3 ounces/75g butter
  • 1 tbsp corn oil
  • 2 medium onions, sliced
  • 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
  • 4 tbsp cream
Method


Place the yogurt, ground almonds, all the dry spices, ginger, garlic, tomatoes and salt in a mixing bowl and blend together thoroughly.

Put the chicken into a large mixing bowl and pour over the yogurt mixture.Set aside. Melt together the butter and oil in a medium karahi, wok or frying pan. Add the onions and fry for about 3 minutes,add tomato followed by the chicken mixture and stir-fry for about 7 to 10 minutes.

Stir in about half of the coriander and mix well. Pour over the cream and stir in well. Bring to the boil. Garnish the indian butter chicken with the remaining chopped coriander to serve the chicken curry.

Naan




This was my first attempt at making Naan I really liked this recipe its a keeper.
thanks to recipezaar and Pattikay
http://www.recipezaar.com/member/353579
Pattikay in LA

Ingredients

Method

Mix together flour, baking powder and salt.

Stir in the yogurt till the dough is too stiff for a spoon, then knead it in the bowl till it holds together well, adding more flour if necessary.

Turn it out on a floured surface and continue kneading for about 5 minutes till the dough feels smooth and elastic.

Form the dough into a ball and put it in an oiled bowl, covered with a towel, to rest for an hour or longer.

Take the dough out and cut it into 10 equal pieces. Form each into a ball and press the balls flat into round discs.

Heat a large frying pan or griddle, either seasoned cast iron or a good non-stick finish.

Heat your oven to about 500 and have the broiler on (this is how the original recipe states it - I know with my oven it's either 500 degree oven OR the broiler, but you get the idea.

Take 1 piece of dough at a time and roll it out on a floured surface till it is about 8-10 inches across and less than 1/4 inch thick.

Lay it on the hot griddle and cook it over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes (I don't think mine took that long).

It will puff up in places or all over, and there will be some blackish-brown spots on the bottom. Slide a spatula under the naan and transfer it to the oven, directly onto the rack, for a minute or two, just till it finishes puffing up into a balloon and begins to color lightly on top.




31 comments:

FH said...

I will send both my kids over there Neema, they will be your slaves if you give them Butter chicken! :D

Both look wonderful, must try Naan, looks thin and fluffy, just like I love it. thanks for posting! :)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I would love of have a big helping of this butter chicken on top of a huge mound of rice... I promise I will leave some for your wonderful family:D

Manju said...

that just looks soo very delicious, neema!! i can never make naans this fluffy!! good job with them!!

Recipeswap said...

Asha lol you can send them over anytime,I love to cook for ppl who love chicken.
Val I'd love to share this chicken with you.
Thanks superchef...it wasnt just tasty but simple to make too.

Cham said...

The naan and butter chicken, OMG u make me hungry! Great recipes!

Saritha said...

The naan and butter chicken seems to be a great combination.Lovely recipes

Unknown said...

Butterchicken is my fav....Naan looks very fluffy...Gud clicks!!
Havent tried naan at home...Can we not do naan without a oven? Do let me know so that I can try it too!

Unknown said...

oohh naan loks simply superb great job neema and butter looks perfect great combo

Shama Nagarajan said...

wow...naan and butterchicken...what a yummy combo....i am hungry now..

Raks said...

I too recently tried nan at home and came out really gud,even I dint add yeast:) Looks like u had a great meal!

Sanghi said...

Mmm all of my favourite are in this post..!

Chitra said...

oh,naan without yeast,iamgoing to try this,its in my mind for a long time:)thanks for the post.

Purva Desai said...

The platter looks yummy, chicken looks buttery and delicious and Naan soft and fluffy

Finla said...

Wow that butter chicken looks so so drooley delicious.
When ever i make naan at home it is always not that good.

Shama Nagarajan said...

have a small gift for u,please do check out

Chutneytales said...

Butter chicken with Naan is a b'ful combo..The Naans look perfect..The chicken makes me drool :)

AnuSriram said...

Delicious! Naan recipe is very different than the one i make... Love this!

Adlak's tiny world said...

Naan looks perfect and gravy is colorful darling. luv d peas rice...

Joie de vivre said...

Oh wow, that looks amazing. Did you make the naan too?

Varsha Vipins said...

yuumm..now thats quite an indulgence Neema..wow..I loved that easy buter chicken..no baking n hassles..:)..I make my healthy wheat naan with yeast..They turn out good to..Yours looks just perfect..So next time if u wana have a healthy wheat naan,check out my recipe there..:)

Poornima Nair said...

This is what I would usually have on a night out back in Mumbai...the chicken looks heavenly and nan loks just perfect.

suvi said...

oh that combo is just awesome!!

Recipeswap said...

sharmilee ypu can definitely make the naans on a hot tava.
Thanks shama for the Excellent blog,feel honored.
Thanks girls for all the nice comments about the Naan and the Chicken gravy.

Jaishree Iyer said...

The platter looks yummy!naan looks simply superb ! last week i too tried naan will post soon.. your looks perfect Neema:)

Priyanka Agrawal said...

my mouth watered and I am not just saying that!

Hats off for making naan. I am still to gather the courage for that lol but you are an inspiration

and the butter chicken...mmmm......

Unknown said...

Wow..very yummy combo :)

Nazarina A said...

I have learned a lot about butter chicken out here in the blogosphere.Would love a platter with everything!

Indian Khana said...

What a feast...looks so gud and delicious...

vandana rajesh said...

The Naan and butter chicken is the best food in Indian cuisine:) I just love it and ur dishes look so good. Have to try the Naan. We all here love it.

Unknown said...

Naan looks delicious with the butter chicken..

Indu said...

Butter chicken and Naan, the best combination ever.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for visiting my Blog,Do come back again :)