Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Fantastic February

February is one of the most special months for us, if you are thinking Valentines ,you are partly right.Its not just Valentines day but our Birthdays too. My Birthday and my hubby's birthday.Yes we are both Aquarians, from the time we have know each other ,we start celebrating from Valentines day till our Birthdays. Valentines day was quite simple,I got balloons,chocolates and flowers and I on the other hand just gave him a nice card which I made my self,then we went out for lunch to a Malaysian restaurant(yes I'm still on a roll).Dinner went to S's home to celebrate her sons birthday. Birthday was great,N got me an awesome opera cake along with some gifts,evening we went to the temple and Dinner to a nice Cajun Restuarant ......though I suggested Thai :( .On the 17th we called all our friends home for Dinner and S baked a Sponge cake with custard amidst the layers , oranges for garnish.
For Dinner,I wanted to make N's favourite recipes (he's the kind who doesn't really say anything about what he likes but these couple of things he had mentioned very vaguely in some conversation). I made Spring rolls,Ghee rice (with coconut milk),Chicken curry,Vegetable Korma,Moong dal payasa.
I couldn't take pics of the spring rolls and payasa coz it was all gone as soon as i
t reached the table,but I did take some pics of the Rice,chicken curry and the korma. Ghee Rice I thought would be a difficult one coz I have never added coconut milk to rice ever before and I was worried that it may curdle etc etc but this was a nice dish and came out perfect.This recipe is from my mom.


To make the Ghee Rice you need
  • 2 cups Basmathi rice
  • 1 1/2 cup of coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup chopped mint,corriander and green chillies
  • spices like cardamom,cinnamon,cloves,black pepper, cumin and bay leaf
  • 1 tbsp ginger and garlic paste
  • salt
  • 2 tbsp Ghee
  • 1 1/2 cup water
Method
  1. Heat oil and ghee in a heavy bottomed vessel.
  2. Add in the spices,followed by the ginger and garlic paste.
  3. Now put in the chopped mint ,coriander and green chillies and fry for about 3 minutes.
  4. Put in the washed rice and fry till aromatic
  5. Add the coconut milk and water along with salt.
  6. Cook on a low flame till all the water is absorbed.
Variation- you can make a paste of the mint,corriander and chilles . Instead of adding water you can use extra coconut milk. Vegetable Korma http://www.ruchiskitchen.com/cfsource/ShowReceipe.cfm?ReceipeName=VegetableKorma


Chicken Curry http://n33ma-recipeswap.blogspot.com/2008/09/spicy-chicken-coconut-curry-tyler.htm

Also I would like to thank Vidhas for passing on to me some awards
You're a sweetheart Award(also thanking Yasmeen) ,Good Chat Blog Award and You are a super Duper Chef Award.Feels good to know that you guys have been thinking of me for the awards :)


I'm passin
g on these awards to all my friends,plz feel free to pick these up and pass it on.

33 comments:

Varsha Vipins said...

Hi ..glad to know u had a great time..4 day celebs sounds cool..Thats a lovely cake gal..N my belated bday wishes to both of u..:)

FH said...

Guess what Neema? Both Arivind and I are Aquarians, birthdays are 2 days apart(with 2 yrs gap betn us)too! :)

Happy belated B'days to both of you, enjoy and God bless.

Cake looks wonderful, beautiful color. Love your ghee rice and korma thali too, my kids would prefer that to mine.
Every time I make veg thali, they always ask "Is there any chicken in there" and then they are disappointed when I say no! :D

Hugs to you, have fun there.

Kannada Cuisine said...

Hey Neema,
Belated happy birthday to you and wishes to your better half as well!
The food looks better than the best :)
My MIL makes similar ghee rice too. The Cake is an absolute killer.

Deepthi Shankar said...

Hope yu guys had a great time ... Belated b'day wishes to you both

Recipeswap said...

Thanks for the wishes Varsha.we had a great time.
Asha thats so cool...ur an Aquarian too wow.Thanks for the wishes.As it happens I have to have to have to eat chicken almost everyday.Cake was very special to coz this is the first time that someone baked a cake for me!
Thanks Smitha,cake was delicious.
Thaks Deesha we did have a great time :)

Sujatha said...

Happy Birthday to you and your hubby! thats like three valentien days in a row! :) Cake, Rice and curry look super delicious!

Yasmeen said...

Sounds like a fantastic month indeed,glad to know you had fun February.The custard cake looks gorgeous.My best wises to your family:)

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

wow.. lovely dishes.. very tempting.korma looks wonderful.

Vikis Kitchen said...

Its really a fantastic feb dear.
Belated Birthday wishes to both of u.
No wonder spring rolls got disappeared that fast.. ur ghee rice with chicken tells us the magic. Coconut with ghee rice is the oldest and lovely method I guess. Cake looks perfect.

Unknown said...

oohh bekated happy birthdy wishes to both of you cake looks so tempting great menu looks so yummy

Jaya M said...

Hi,
belated birthday wishes ..
and they all look so delicious ..
enjoy with the one you love the most for many more years :)).......
hugs and smiles

PG said...

Happy belated Birthday to you!
The coconut rice sounds delicious!

Adlak's tiny world said...

MY belated wishes to you dear.. yr name is Neema.. nice one. delicious dishes neema.

grab your award dear its waiting for you.

sriharivatsan said...

Oh..My belated bday wishes to both of you..

Ghee rice and kurma looks yummy and PERFECT..

Thanks for your lovely comments in my blog and keep visiting dear..

Unknown said...

Happy belated Birthday to you!
The coconut rice sounds delicious!
veg kurma looks yummy...

Swapna said...

Belated b'day wishes to u both. Hope u had great dinner with lovely dishes arround...

Sanghi said...

Wow! wonderful dinner...! Those sponge cake with custard and orange topping is simply superb.. The ghee rice.. mmmm!! Chicken curry a big WOW!! I miss them all:)

Sanghi said...

Mmm.. Belated birthday wishes !!!

Cham said...

Belated Birthday wishes, gal U celebrate in row ! Cool Love the ghee rice and kurma!

Neha said...

Bealated b'day wishes to u ..
Everthing looks superb..

Priya Suresh said...

Everything looks delicious...Korma looks so creamy n am drooling over them..my belated wishes to both of u:)

Recipeswap said...

Thanks ppl for the wonderful wishes...

Laavanya said...

Belated Birthday wishes to you both.. sounds like you had a fun (& delicious) celebration.

Vani said...

Oooh.. I like the 4-day celebration thing you guys have going here! Sounds like you both had good fun and great food to celebrate, apart from the gifts. Belated birthday wishes to you both, Neema :)

Usha said...

Belated birthday wishes to both of you...sounds like a lot of fun to have a four day celebration..cake looks awesome, ghee rice and korma sounds yum too !

veggie belly said...

Happy birthday! I love the ghee rice recipe with the coconutmilk.

vidhas said...

Belated Happy Birthday to you and your Husband Neema. Hope you have enjoyed and had fun. Nice mouthwatering dinner recipe. Coconut rice and veg korma looks tempting. Can you accept my award.

Jaishree Iyer said...

Hi Neema,
Happy belated B'days to both of you, Hope you have enjoyed and had fun and God bless.:) Everything looks delicious.. & so tempting.

Leslie said...

mmmthe ghee rice sounds amazing. I just started to make my own Ghee and I use it for everything.

Chutneytales said...

Hi thanks for visiting me ..The cake looks so b'ful..
I always add coconut milk to ghee rice..its awesome..Nice dishes ,dear..
My belated b'day wishes to you both :)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Happy Birthday to you both. It sounds as though you had a wonderful time. I love this Ghee rice too..well worth a try!!

Dori said...

Congratulations on your awards! The birthday food looks awesome! That must have been one amazing dinner!

Nazarina A said...

This is so neat that you and your hubby's birthdays are a day after the other!
This rice and curry and the cake for that matter, the details in the pictures are so very clear almost like and advertisement on a menu! Gosh it really made me so hungry, of course it did, especially when I did no cooking today!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for visiting my Blog,Do come back again :)