Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Carrot Rice with Channa Gravy


Is there any food that one cant get enough of...........for me it definitely is Basmati rice when its super hot...........
I remember even when I was small I used to love basmati rice and would force my mother to give me some when it was half cooked.
Now whenever I make any pulao, biryani I simply cant stop myself from eating it when its super hot and I cant seem to stop I keep telling myself its a whole lot of carbs plzzzz stop but I cant.
Anyway I got this amazing simple fast recipe from my friend Big S who got it from her Atlanta friend R.


You need

2 cups basmati rice
1 cup grated carrots
spices -2 cloves ,1 bay leaf, 2 cardamoms,1 inch cinnamon,1 tsp cumin seeds
1 Tbsp ginger garlic paste
salt

Method
  1. Heat a little oil in a pot when hot add the spices followed by the ginger and garlic paste.
  2. Put in the grated carrot and fry till soft and almost done.
  3. Add the washed basmati rice and salt and fry for 5 minutes.
  4. Add about 3 -3.5 cups of water and cook till the rice is done.
Channa gravy

This is one slightly different technique that I learnt from my friend big S........she pressure cooks the channa and the onion together and when its done,takes the onion and 3 tbsp of channa and makes a paste.

You need
  • 1 cup soaked channa
  • 1 big onion
  • ginger and garlic paste
  • 2 finely chopped or blended tomatoes
  • spices - bayleaf,1 inch cinnamon,1 tsp cumin seeds,cardamoms and pepper corns
  • salt
  • Chilli powder
  • 1 Tbsp Garam Masala
  • corriander leaves for garnish

Method
  1. Pressure cook the channa and the onion till its done.
  2. Heat oil in a pan when hot add the spices followed by the ginger garlic paste.
  3. Blend together the onion and 3 Tbsp of channa and add to the pan.
  4. put in the chilli powder, garam masala and the salt and cook for 5 minutes.
  5. Add the tomatoes and cook till its done.
  6. Put in the channa and simmer till the gravy thickens.
  7. Garnish with corriander leaves.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for visiting my Blog,Do come back again :)